Happy Fall! Today is our first-ever Fall Festival here at the farm. We’re opening up the shop and marking everything 20% off (get ahead on that Christmas shopping!) plus there’s a bonfire, giveaways and our favorite… treats.
We’re serving up caramel apple cider (oooo… more on that another day!) and tried a new way to make a traditional snack mix! This is packed full of salty and sweet and is way better than I even expected!
A word to the wary… if you’re over the pumpkin spice craze: try this anyway! If you try it and midway through the baking you suspect it’s going to be too strong: JUST WAIT!!
The snack mix DOES smell great while baking, but it’s a very, very spicy mix that had me a bit concerned. Not to worry, though. The end result is a perfect mix – not too heavy with the spice and flavoring and we loved our ratio of sweet to crunchy (although true candy fans might want to toss in a bit more of the good stuff!)
This recipe will yield enough snack mix to fill a roasting pan — the black enamel type.
- 6 cups honey nut Chex cereal
- 15 oz (one bag) pretzels
- 1 pound dry roasted peanuts
- .5 cup melted butter
- .5 cup brown sugar - actually, just a little LESS than a half cup
- 1.5 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- .75 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 bag (8 oz) peanut butter M&M's
- 1 bag (8 oz) regular M&M's
- 2 cups candy corn
- Heat oven to 275 degrees.
- Mix together the pretzels, Chex mix and peanuts.
- Stir together melted butter, spices, brown sugar and vanilla extract.
- Pour over dry mix and stir to coat.
- Fill roasting pan with the snack mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Spread on wax paper or paper bags to cool.
- Once thoroughly cooled, toss with the candy.